March 11, 2020
Legislative Day a Great Success – Senate Committee votes in favor of SafeRide increase!!!
AB 869 passed out of committee on unanimous vote!!
- Earlier today the Senate Committee on Economic Development held a hearing on AB 869 which increases the SafeRide surcharge by $25 which will generate approximately $500,000 additional revenue for SafeRide Programs.
- As Amended by the Assembly, AB 869:
- Extends bar closing hours until 4 AM in Southeast Wisconsin during the DNC Convention from July 13th to 17th
- Increases the SafeRide Surcharge by $25 per OWI conviction - $50 to $75
- Clarifies licensing issue at Road America
- Addresses vendor permit issue at State Fair Park
- The 14 counties in SE Wisconsin impacted by the bill are: Milwaukee, Kenosha, Racine, Walworth, Rock, Waukesha, Jefferson, Dane, Ozaukee, Washington, Dodge, Columbia, Sheboygan, and Fond du Lac County
- The bill passed out of committee 5-0. Senators Feyen, Testin, Petrowski, Ringhand and Carpenter all voted in favor of the bill.
The Senate is scheduled to meet on March 25th and we are hopeful AB 869 will be on the floor for a vote and then on to Governor Evers.
Please contact your State Senator and urge them to support AB 869.
Thanks in part to the SafeRide program, Wisconsin has experienced a 50% decline in alcohol-related fatalities since 2005, while TLW SafeRides were up 142% during that time. TLW continues to expand the SafeRide program, which now operates in over 60 Wisconsin Counties, and the nearly 93,000 rides provided last year is more than double the number of rides we provided in 2007. In addition, over 1,750 Tavern League members from across the state participate in the program.